About Us at General Veterinary Hospital Ltd. and Our History
General Veterinary Hospital Ltd. has been part of the Edmonton community since established in 1942.
Before we became General Veterinary Hospital Ltd., we were The First Street Veterinary Hospital Ltd., established in 1942. After outgrowing the original location on 107th Avenue and 101 Street, our three founding veterinarians: Dr. Kenneth Abbey, Dr. George MacQuarrie, and Dr. Jim Rattray, built the General Veterinary Hospital where it now stands in 1964. Our current 10,000 square foot facility was specifically designed to provide full Service Pet Care under one roof.
Dr. Lloyd Abbey took over the General Veterinary Hospital Ltd. in 1981 and still remains the current owner.
At General Veterinary Hospital Ltd. we are committed to Animal Care. For this reason, we work closely with community rescue organizations including Beagle Paws and Humane Animal Rescue Team (HART). We believe that all animal deserve happy homes and committed owners.
American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA)
Alberta Veterinary Medical Association (ABVMA)
Edmonton Association of Small Animal Veterinarians (EASAV)
Canadian Veterinary Medical Association (CVMA)
American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
Canadian Academy of Veterinary Dermatology (CAVD)
North America Veterinary Dermatology (NAVD)
Canine Rehabilitation Institute (CRI)
American Association of Rehabilitation Veterinarian (AARV)
Veterinary Cancer Society (VCS)
International Veterinary Academy of Pain Management (IVAPM)
Better Business Bureau (BBB)
“Professional Care with Compassion.”